Sungei Pandan pipe jack completed ahead of schedule
Nov 30, 2006
The excavation of the 2.4 metre internal diameter, 675 metre Sungei Pandan pipe jack tunnel, which is being built to accommodate three transmission powercable circuits, was completed on 22 October 2005 three weeks ahead of schedule.
The main risks related to the shaft construction were:
- Shaft wall instability from recent fill and soft soil materials;
- High ground water table;
- Shaft base heave;
- Limestone rock with fissures and cavities that have direct connection to the sea;
- Variable rock head level; and,
- Proximity to adjoining industrial premises and sea.
- Variable ground conditions (hard limestone rock and very soft soils);
- Tunnelling under a navigational channel and estuary;
- Limestone rock with fissures and cavities and direct sea connection;
- Vertical and horizontal curves along the pipe jack tunnel route; and,
- Sand, gravel and clay soils that can exert high friction on the jacking pipes.
- Having a compressed air unit brought over from Germany in case access to the chamber of the TBM was needed;
- Installing six inter-jack stations to ensure no problems with ground friction, extended stoppage and steering through mixed face conditions;
- Using an automated lubrication system for the jacking pipes; and,
- The use of polymer injected to the TBM face that mixed with ground water and permeable ground (sand, gravel and limestone chippings) to form a plug in the TBM screw conveyor to keep the water out.
A major factor of the successful delivery of the project was the dedication and enthusiasm of the tunnelling project team.
The maintaining of a clear focus on the project objectives and the ongoing collaboration amongst client, consultants, contractor, designers and site supervision staff was a key factor that helped to realise the safe completion of the Sungei Pandan pipe jack tunnel.
This article was published with kind permission of Trenchless Australasia magazine.
More News and Articles
Sep 22, 2023
PPXXI Conference and Exhibition welcomes McElroy Manufacturing, Inc. as the mobile app sponsor. Their sponsorship enhances networking opportunities for the delegates. Scheduled over September 25 -27, 2023, in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, PPXXI is the key technical and business event …
Sep 20, 2023
Aquatech is the leading water technology show in the world, with over 800 exhibitors and expecting over 22,000 visitors from over 140+ countries.
Sep 18, 2023
Designed to reduce pollution in Lake Erie by four billion gallons per year, Project Clean Lake is a 25-year plan being overseen by Cleveland's Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District (NEORSD). When construction crews complete the $3 billion undertaking in 2036, …
Sep 13, 2023
Mullane once again proved why the company is an industry leader in pipeline solutions with a relining project on the mid north coast of New South Wales.
Sep 11, 2023
Pezzimenti Trenchless continues to showcase its position as a leading trenchless specialist by completing works on two Victorian projects.
Sep 08, 2023
Silvertown Tunnel under Thames - Newham to Greenwich near O2 Arena: See two massive boreholes in east London
The second of two boreholes beneath the Thames – which will together form London’s new Silvertown Tunnel – is now complete.
Sep 04, 2023
Report highlights American Water’s sustainable impact on communities across the U.S.
Aug 31, 2023
Anaergia Selected to Design, Build and Operate Organic Waste-to-Renewable Energy Project in San Diego County
System to provide renewable power, reduce wastewater utility costs, and cut greenhouse gas emissions for East County Advanced Water Purification facility.
Aug 28, 2023
Spiral wound lining is a sustainable method of pipe maintenance, allowing water authorities and councils to renew their critical infrastructure. Interflow is an expert in this field and has been pioneering new techniques for decades.
Aug 25, 2023
Loader tells Trenchless Australasia that it can be hard to identify minor issues, meaning that sometimes faults are only seen when there is a system failure. “There’s a range of things that will contribute to damaging the sewer network,” says …
Aug 23, 2023
Aqua Metro has been awarded a position on the Yarra Valley Water Pipes and Facilities Program of works.
Aug 21, 2023
European Commission Regulation restricting lead in PVC supports circular aims of PVC pipe manufacturers
TEPPFA welcomes the new European Commission regulation restricting lead usage in PVC products, setting a new standard in environmental responsibility and public health protection. This regulation supports the ongoing efforts of PVC pipe manufacturers to create a more sustainable circular …