PENETRON Helps Build Tunnels, Bridges & Highways
Jul 16, 2014
Infrastructure projects are low on glamor but high on importance, which is why ensuring optimal durability in concrete is crucial. PENETRON crystalline technology is used in an almost endless range of civil projects – the latest is the just-opened Line 4 subway in São Paulo, Brazil.
"PENETRON has comprehensive experience and know-how in substantial public projects and infrastructure upgrades," says Jozef Van Beeck, International Sales & Marketing Director of The PENETRON Group. "Around the world, our crystalline technology helps transform porous concrete into a highly durable material by reducing permeability. This has been proven to significantly increase the durability and lifetime of concrete structures."
Ramping up Brazil
The range of infrastructure projects that have benefitted from PENETRON technology is almost endless and includes everything from bridges, highways and tunnels to shipping ports, water treatment plants and airports. A selection of the most recent projects for the FIFA World Cup in Brazil include:
- Porto Maravilha, Brazil – a renewed Rio de Janeiro waterfront includes water treatment plants, tunnels, drainage, sewage systems, new roads and bike paths
- Guarulhos (São Paulo) Airport / Terminal 3 – a new terminal at South America’s largest airport relies on PENETRON technology
- Rio de Janeiro Metro / Line 4 – a new 16 km underground line used PENETRON technology for all the stations
- São Paulo Metro / Lines 2 & 4 – both new extensions to Brazil’s largest public transportation system; tunnels and stations used PENETRON materials
"PENETRON Brazil has finished – and continues to work on – numerous infrastructure projects all over the country," says Jozef Van Beeck. "But we’re also very busy with civil projects around the world."
Doing It All
The underground subway lines, airports and port renewals in Brazil showcase only a few of the types of infrastructure projects for which PENETRON has become well-known. The PENETRON crystalline technology is found in a wide range of applications. A few highlights include:
- Dams –the Bouguchany Dam, Russia’s largest dam, and the Long Tan Dam in China, the world's largest roller-compacted concrete (RCC) dam
- Tunnels – the Bothnia Line high-speed railway in northern Sweden, and the Los Olmos Project, designed to divert water to the drier western part of Peru
- Education – the California Science Center with a 188,000 gallon (712,000 liters) kelp tank, and Peking University’s Khoo Teck Puat Gymnasium in China
- Water treatment –the Milan South plant in Italy helping to clean up the Po River, and the enormous South Cobb system in Atlanta (GA), USA
- Power – the Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant in New Hampshire, USA, and the Krasnaya Polyana power plant, Russia, built for the 2014 Winter Olympics
"When it comes to the challenges of civil projects, PENETRON does them all," adds Robert Revera, President and CEO of The PENETRON Group. "Such projects demand maximum longevity, and that’s why ‘durability by PENETRON’ has had such success around the world."
The PENETRON Group is a leading manufacturer of specialty construction products for concrete waterproofing, concrete repairs and floor preparation systems. The Group operates through a global network, offering support to the design and construction community through its regional offices, representatives and distribution channels.
More News and Articles
Sep 29, 2023
Researchers from the University of Illinois Chicago have proposed a “dual-pipeline” solution to address the region’s water supply issues. The system would feature one line supplying industrial sites with treated wastewater and another conveying drinking water to homes and other …
Sep 27, 2023
New e-learning module of the course BE-07 Investigation and Inspection of Sewers and Pipelines now available on UNITRACC!
Sep 27, 2023
Any water loss through leaking pipes is unacceptable in the eyes of the public, and on the launch of a deep-dive leakage report from Ovarro, technology leader for leakage solutions, Barbara Hathaway, explains how technologies continue to advance.
Sep 25, 2023
Pumping liquids may seem like a solved problem, but optimizing the process is still an area of active research. Any pumping application—from industrial scales to heating systems at home—would benefit from a reduction in energy demands. Researchers at the Institute …
Sep 22, 2023
PPXXI Conference and Exhibition welcomes McElroy Manufacturing, Inc. as the mobile app sponsor. Their sponsorship enhances networking opportunities for the delegates. Scheduled over September 25 -27, 2023, in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, PPXXI is the key technical and business event …
Sep 20, 2023
Aquatech is the leading water technology show in the world, with over 800 exhibitors and expecting over 22,000 visitors from over 140+ countries.
Sep 18, 2023
Designed to reduce pollution in Lake Erie by four billion gallons per year, Project Clean Lake is a 25-year plan being overseen by Cleveland's Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District (NEORSD). When construction crews complete the $3 billion undertaking in 2036, …
Sep 13, 2023
Mullane once again proved why the company is an industry leader in pipeline solutions with a relining project on the mid north coast of New South Wales.
Sep 11, 2023
Pezzimenti Trenchless continues to showcase its position as a leading trenchless specialist by completing works on two Victorian projects.
Sep 08, 2023
Silvertown Tunnel under Thames - Newham to Greenwich near O2 Arena: See two massive boreholes in east London
The second of two boreholes beneath the Thames – which will together form London’s new Silvertown Tunnel – is now complete.
Sep 04, 2023
Report highlights American Water’s sustainable impact on communities across the U.S.
Aug 31, 2023
Anaergia Selected to Design, Build and Operate Organic Waste-to-Renewable Energy Project in San Diego County
System to provide renewable power, reduce wastewater utility costs, and cut greenhouse gas emissions for East County Advanced Water Purification facility.