Martin Herrenknecht supports technology education and calls for its expansion
Oct 01, 2014
Entrepreneur Martin Herrenknecht sees a huge need for action to increase education and the promotion of young talent in the areas of science and technology. Germany needs to much more intensively provide for new technological advances and the young talent needed for this in all major engineerdriven areas such as energy, environmental and medical technology and infrastructure development, he says. The core competence in engineering sciences has taken the export nation to the forefront worldwide. In future German industry needs 90,000 newly trained engineers per year, both men and women. Herrenknecht helps push the necessary promotion of young talent and calls for greater and broader efforts by society with regard to education.
Founded 50 years ago, Offenburg University was one of the first educational institutions that Martin Herrenknecht and Herrenknecht AG continuously provided with research contracts, scholarships and grants. Graduates from all major engineering disciplines of Offenburg University make Herrenknecht AG a world leader as a manufacturer of innovative tunnelling technology.
Herrenknecht also supports technical progress in other scientific disciplines. At the KIT (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology) Herrenknecht has financed an endowed chair in the Department of Petrophysics since 2008, which promotes progress in the exploration and use of energy sources deep within the earth. This scientific pioneer territory plays a major role with regard to the ability to develop and utilize renewable geothermal energy. As a private citizen Martin Herrenknecht maintains an endowed chair at the Berlin Charité hospital for research into the rare ALS disease (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), which leads to serious damage to the central nervous system and muscles and is researched very little.
EXCERPT OF HERRENKNECHT COMMITMENTS: NATIONAL INITIATIVES
acatech, German National Academy of Science and Engineering
- Representation of German science and engineering at home and abroad; for advising policymakers and the public on technology-related issues of the future, for the transfer of knowledge between science and industry, and encouragement of the next generation of engineers
- Dr.-Ing. E.h. Martin Herrenknecht is a member of the Senate.
Wissensfabrik (German for "Factory of Knowledge"), Companies for Germany
- Herrenknecht is a member of the association of more than 120 companies and company-affiliated foundations to make the business location Germany more sustainable and the next generation fit for global competition.
- Herrenknecht participates in the lighthouse project KiTec – Children discover technology.
EXCERPT OF HERRENKNECHT COMMITMENTS: UNIVERSITIES
- Herrenknecht supports Offenburg University and has cooperated with it for many years in a wide variety of ways, including the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) scholarship program for foreign students.
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- Endowed Chair in Petrophysics (since 2008)
- The company has supported and cooperated with the Institute for years in a wide variety of ways.
- Endowed Chair: establishment of a junior professorship for ALS basic research (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - the unstoppable progressive and within a few years fatal disease leads to damage to the central nervous system responsible for muscle movements.)
Technical University of Munich
- Support of the Excellence University with a start-up foundation
Cooperation and support for numerous other universities
- Including Ruhr University Bochum, RWTH Aachen, Carolo Wilhelmina Technical University of Braun-schweig (Brunswick), University of Constance, Politecnico di Torino, Colorado School of Mines
EXCERPT OF HERRENKNECHT COMMITMENTS: SCHOOLS
Max Planck Grammar School Lahr (MPG)
- Since 2006 Herrenknecht has supported the MPG and each year provides funding to finance working materials and technical equipment in particular for the subjects of physics, chemistry, biology and geography as well as for the development of the new subject of science and technology.
- Since 2011 Herrenknecht has supported the running of the Engineer's Day.
Student Engineers Academy (SIA)
Since 2008 Herrenknecht has actively participated in the annual running of the Student Engineers Academy for grammar school students in the Lahr/Ettenheim region.
Individual career insights
- Each year Herrenknecht gives over 150 pupils and students the opportunity to complete internships in the company.
EXCERPT OF HERRENKNECHT COMMITMENTS: INTERNATIONAL INITIATIVES
ITACET, Foundation for Education and Training on Tunnelling and Underground Space Use / ITA
- Continuing education and training of engineers worldwide in the field of tunnelling and underground space use
More News and Articles
Oct 02, 2023
A utility detection equipment specialist shares his expert tips on understanding electromagnetic field (EMF) locators, the importance of training, and how to work with manufacturers.
Sep 29, 2023
Researchers from the University of Illinois Chicago have proposed a “dual-pipeline” solution to address the region’s water supply issues. The system would feature one line supplying industrial sites with treated wastewater and another conveying drinking water to homes and other …
Sep 27, 2023
New e-learning module of the course BE-07 Investigation and Inspection of Sewers and Pipelines now available on UNITRACC!
Sep 27, 2023
Any water loss through leaking pipes is unacceptable in the eyes of the public, and on the launch of a deep-dive leakage report from Ovarro, technology leader for leakage solutions, Barbara Hathaway, explains how technologies continue to advance.
Sep 25, 2023
Pumping liquids may seem like a solved problem, but optimizing the process is still an area of active research. Any pumping application—from industrial scales to heating systems at home—would benefit from a reduction in energy demands. Researchers at the Institute …
Sep 22, 2023
PPXXI Conference and Exhibition welcomes McElroy Manufacturing, Inc. as the mobile app sponsor. Their sponsorship enhances networking opportunities for the delegates. Scheduled over September 25 -27, 2023, in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, PPXXI is the key technical and business event …
Sep 20, 2023
Aquatech is the leading water technology show in the world, with over 800 exhibitors and expecting over 22,000 visitors from over 140+ countries.
Sep 18, 2023
Designed to reduce pollution in Lake Erie by four billion gallons per year, Project Clean Lake is a 25-year plan being overseen by Cleveland's Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District (NEORSD). When construction crews complete the $3 billion undertaking in 2036, …
Sep 13, 2023
Mullane once again proved why the company is an industry leader in pipeline solutions with a relining project on the mid north coast of New South Wales.
Sep 11, 2023
Pezzimenti Trenchless continues to showcase its position as a leading trenchless specialist by completing works on two Victorian projects.
Sep 08, 2023
Silvertown Tunnel under Thames - Newham to Greenwich near O2 Arena: See two massive boreholes in east London
The second of two boreholes beneath the Thames – which will together form London’s new Silvertown Tunnel – is now complete.
Sep 04, 2023
Report highlights American Water’s sustainable impact on communities across the U.S.