Electro Scan Inc. to Inspect Entire Wastewater Collection System of La Grange, North Carolina
Nov 22, 2019
Electro Scan Inc. announced that it has been selected to inspect the Town of La Grange, North Carolina's entire wastewater collection system. Representing over 30-miles (160,000 feet) of sewer main, Electro Scan will use its award-winning and patented Focused Electrode Leak Location (FELL) machine-intelligent technology to locate sources of infiltration and report all leaks in Gallons per Minute (GPM).
On September 5 & 6, Hurricane Dorian passed by North Carolina as a Category 2 Hurricane with La Grange receiving 6.5 inches of rain at the Wastewater Treatment Plant. Rainfall increased treatment plant flows from 350,000 Gallons per Day (GPD) – the day before Hurricane Dorian – to as high as 2 million GPD after the storm.
"In 2004, our town spent $2.4 million on sewer rehabilitation," stated La Grange Town Manager, John Craft. "That helped temporarily. But, those repairs either failed or other issues developed."
"Given that Electro Scan can find defects that go undetected using CCTV inspection and other methods, and can compute a defect flow in Gallons per Minute, we look forward to pinpointing our defects and prioritizing rehabilitation to address our worst leaks, first," stated Craft.
"Small agencies are usually the first to adopt new technologies," stated Mackenzie App, Director of Field Services, Eastern Region. "If you don't have the luxury to spend money on the same things you did last year – without getting any benefit – you tend to be more selective in your business decisions. Congratulations to La Grange for your pioneering vision – I can't wait to start work on this project," said App.
In the past, cities have been limited to using high-resolution CCTV cameras to detect & catalog infiltration. But, industry experts have long-recognized the drawbacks in using visual inspection that leads to incorrectly prioritizing needed repairs & rehabilitation.
Major Drawbacks of CCTV & Visual Inspection
- Can’t decipher cracks that leak from cracks that don't leak.
- No repeatability. Two or more operators, same pipe.
- No repeatability. Same operator, same pipe, different dates.
- Can't assess watertightness of new pipes or CIPP.
- Surcharged pipes require expensive bypass pumping. Can’t assess pipe joints inside bell & spigot.
- No leakage rates provided by NASSCO CCTV coding.
- Risk of selecting wrong pipes to rehabilitate or accept as watertight.
- Can't see defects hidden with encrustations, grease, roots, or silt.
- Unable to see defects below waterline.
Major Advantages of Fell Inspection
- Accurately quantifies leaks in Gallons per Minute.
- Automatically provides precise location – within 3/8th inch (1cm).
- Unbiased & repeatable results, tested by EPA, WRc & IKT.
- Fast rate of inspection – 2-3x faster than CCTV daily production.
- No third-party data interpretation required. It’s machine-intelligent.
- Approved for all gravity sewer mains & pressurized pipes.
- Recommended to test force mains, siphons & large diameter pipes.
- Simulating a surcharged pipe, bypass pumping is never required.
- Assesses each pipe joint, inside bell & spigot, and lateral connection.
- Creates a baseline GPM before rehabilitation.
- Able to assess CIPP and Post-Rehabilitation % Effectiveness.
- Referenced in US EPA Consent Decrees.
- ASTM F2550 (3rd Edition, 2018).
- AWWA M77 (1st Edition, 2019).
- Data available on cloud app in less than 10 minutes, worldwide.
- Cities can add FELL equipment to standard CCTV trucks or vans.
- FELL|CCTV Integration Kits for Aries, Cues, IBAK, iPEK, Rausch.
- Master Class by WRc, developers of NASSCO CCTV codes.
- Used by IKT, world's largest R&D organization, in recent CIPP study.
- Partnership with Innovyze®. FELL integrates with InfoAsset Planner®.
The Town of La Grange, population 2,800, is located in Lenoir County which is one of 15 counties within the Central Coastal Plain Capacity Use Area (CCPCUA) as designated by the NC Division of Water Resources, Environmental Management Commission.
Funding for the project was provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Kansas City, MO-based Black and Veatch was retained as the town's consulting engineer.
Hickory, NC-based ClearWater Inc. is the exclusive representative of Electro Scan products and services in North Carolina.
Separately, Electro Scan Inc. recently announced another 30-mile FELL inspection project – currently nearing completion – with Hillsborough County, the fourth largest utility in the State of Florida.
About Electro Scan Inc.
Founded in 2011, the company designs, develops, and markets technology-based products & services for pipeline condition assessment, environmental compliance monitoring, and to determine rehabilitation effectiveness. Headquartered in Sacramento, California, the company sells and licenses equipment to local governments & utilities to conduct their own pipeline testing work and offers a Technology-as-a-Service (TaaS) solution, in partnership with authorized contractors, worldwide.
More News and Articles
Nov 29, 2023
Researchers at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) have made a groundbreaking discovery that could change our understanding of evaporation, a ubiquitous process in our environment. They found that under certain conditions, light can directly cause evaporation without the need for …
Nov 27, 2023
NEW UNITRACC Construction Site Documentation: "Rehabilitation of a DN 400 Concrete Gravity Sewer with a SAERTEX-LINER® MULTI over a Length of 69 m" (CIPP)
New construction site documentation in the renovation section of the e-learning platform: Rehabilitation of a DN 400 concrete gravity sewer with CIPP lining using SAERTEX-LINER® MULTI, type S+ Standard. The objective of this rehabilitation measure was to enhance the structural …
Nov 27, 2023
Digitising water management
Nov 24, 2023
Budleigh Salterton is a popular and picturesque seaside town situated within the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Located at the start of the stunning Jurassic Coast; a UNESCO World Heritage Site recognised for its outstanding rocks, fossils and …
Nov 22, 2023
Having been in business for 86 years, Interflow has proven it knows a thing or two about longevity. Right now, that requires an all-encompassing sustainability strategy, as Richard McCarthy, Interflow’s executive general manager southern region, explained.
Nov 20, 2023
An interview with Managing Director Robert Ristow
Nov 17, 2023
Tractebel and Aurecon forge strategic partnership to revolutionize dam projects in Queensland, Australia
Tractebel and Aurecon form a strategic alliance to revolutionize dam projects in Queensland, Australia, combining their global expertise and local knowledge to meet the rising demand for dam upgrades.
Nov 15, 2023
SA Water will use horizontal directional drilling (HDD) to assist in installing a section of pipe underneath the Melbourne to Adelaide rail corridor.
Nov 13, 2023
Saudi Arabia’s visionary city, Neom, is leading the way in sustainable water solutions with the construction of a desalination plant powered entirely by renewable energy.
Nov 10, 2023
Adept Civil Group has successfully delivered on a sewer reticulation extension project at the Charlemont Rise estate.
Nov 09, 2023
NEW LAUNCH: UNITRACC Module "Details on the Installation of Lining with UV Cured-in-Place Pipes" (Renovation: CIPP)
Introducing the new e-learning module for the course "Renovation: Lining with Cured-In-Place Pipes"! This module focuses on the installation of UV CIPP using the high-quality SAERTEX-LINER® specifically designed for gravity pipes and sewers - with contributions by renowned manufacturer SAERTEX …
Nov 08, 2023
Extreme rainfall, flooded streets, destroyed houses and infrastructure, people fighting for their lives amidst the floods. 2021 was also marked by such tragic events. It´s time to ask how flood disasters happen, and what can be done about them.