Advantages of pipe bursting:
- Application is independent of the material of the old pipe;
- One bursting installation can be utilised for several pipe nominal sizes;
- Earthworks are not required for the installation of short pipes;
- Cross sectional increases of the sewer are possible (e.g. DN 200 to DN 250 or DN 300 to DN 350);
- Sections of the sewer up to a length of 150 m with nominal sizes to DN 800 with dynamic, or 120 m and DN 500 with hydraulic pipe bursting can be replaced from one starting manhole;
- Equalisation of under or over gradients up to a maximum of 5 cm is possible [Miege90] ;
- Quick availability, short construction periods, small investments and few personnel needs.
Disadvantages of pipe bursting:
- The utilisation for sewers lying in groundwater without assisting measures is not possible or only to a limited extent;
- Possible damage to the entry manholes when introducing the tension and possibly drive forces. If the manholes are not strong enough, excavations are still required;
- The ground in the embedment must be compressible and free of obstructions;
- Danger of damage when inserting the product pipes without protective measures;
- Danger of damage to crossing or tangential lines with insufficient security spacing;
- Sufficient bedding of the sewer to be replaced is necessary.