Electro Scan Inc. to Inspect Entire Wastewater Collection System of La Grange, North Carolina
Nov 22, 2019
Electro Scan Inc. announced that it has been selected to inspect the Town of La Grange, North Carolina's entire wastewater collection system. Representing over 30-miles (160,000 feet) of sewer main, Electro Scan will use its award-winning and patented Focused Electrode Leak Location (FELL) machine-intelligent technology to locate sources of infiltration and report all leaks in Gallons per Minute (GPM).
On September 5 & 6, Hurricane Dorian passed by North Carolina as a Category 2 Hurricane with La Grange receiving 6.5 inches of rain at the Wastewater Treatment Plant. Rainfall increased treatment plant flows from 350,000 Gallons per Day (GPD) – the day before Hurricane Dorian – to as high as 2 million GPD after the storm.
"In 2004, our town spent $2.4 million on sewer rehabilitation," stated La Grange Town Manager, John Craft. "That helped temporarily. But, those repairs either failed or other issues developed."
"Given that Electro Scan can find defects that go undetected using CCTV inspection and other methods, and can compute a defect flow in Gallons per Minute, we look forward to pinpointing our defects and prioritizing rehabilitation to address our worst leaks, first," stated Craft.
"Small agencies are usually the first to adopt new technologies," stated Mackenzie App, Director of Field Services, Eastern Region. "If you don't have the luxury to spend money on the same things you did last year – without getting any benefit – you tend to be more selective in your business decisions. Congratulations to La Grange for your pioneering vision – I can't wait to start work on this project," said App.
In the past, cities have been limited to using high-resolution CCTV cameras to detect & catalog infiltration. But, industry experts have long-recognized the drawbacks in using visual inspection that leads to incorrectly prioritizing needed repairs & rehabilitation.
Major Drawbacks of CCTV & Visual Inspection
- Can’t decipher cracks that leak from cracks that don't leak.
- No repeatability. Two or more operators, same pipe.
- No repeatability. Same operator, same pipe, different dates.
- Can't assess watertightness of new pipes or CIPP.
- Surcharged pipes require expensive bypass pumping. Can’t assess pipe joints inside bell & spigot.
- No leakage rates provided by NASSCO CCTV coding.
- Risk of selecting wrong pipes to rehabilitate or accept as watertight.
- Can't see defects hidden with encrustations, grease, roots, or silt.
- Unable to see defects below waterline.
Major Advantages of Fell Inspection
- Accurately quantifies leaks in Gallons per Minute.
- Automatically provides precise location – within 3/8th inch (1cm).
- Unbiased & repeatable results, tested by EPA, WRc & IKT.
- Fast rate of inspection – 2-3x faster than CCTV daily production.
- No third-party data interpretation required. It’s machine-intelligent.
- Approved for all gravity sewer mains & pressurized pipes.
- Recommended to test force mains, siphons & large diameter pipes.
- Simulating a surcharged pipe, bypass pumping is never required.
- Assesses each pipe joint, inside bell & spigot, and lateral connection.
- Creates a baseline GPM before rehabilitation.
- Able to assess CIPP and Post-Rehabilitation % Effectiveness.
- Referenced in US EPA Consent Decrees.
- ASTM F2550 (3rd Edition, 2018).
- AWWA M77 (1st Edition, 2019).
- Data available on cloud app in less than 10 minutes, worldwide.
- Cities can add FELL equipment to standard CCTV trucks or vans.
- FELL|CCTV Integration Kits for Aries, Cues, IBAK, iPEK, Rausch.
- Master Class by WRc, developers of NASSCO CCTV codes.
- Used by IKT, world's largest R&D organization, in recent CIPP study.
- Partnership with Innovyze®. FELL integrates with InfoAsset Planner®.
The Town of La Grange, population 2,800, is located in Lenoir County which is one of 15 counties within the Central Coastal Plain Capacity Use Area (CCPCUA) as designated by the NC Division of Water Resources, Environmental Management Commission.
Funding for the project was provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Kansas City, MO-based Black and Veatch was retained as the town's consulting engineer.
Hickory, NC-based ClearWater Inc. is the exclusive representative of Electro Scan products and services in North Carolina.
Separately, Electro Scan Inc. recently announced another 30-mile FELL inspection project – currently nearing completion – with Hillsborough County, the fourth largest utility in the State of Florida.
About Electro Scan Inc.
Founded in 2011, the company designs, develops, and markets technology-based products & services for pipeline condition assessment, environmental compliance monitoring, and to determine rehabilitation effectiveness. Headquartered in Sacramento, California, the company sells and licenses equipment to local governments & utilities to conduct their own pipeline testing work and offers a Technology-as-a-Service (TaaS) solution, in partnership with authorized contractors, worldwide.
More News and Articles
Dec 12, 2019
On 14 November 2019, VINCI Construction Grands Projets signed a contract with the Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority to design and build the Bakheng water treatment plant in the northern outskirts of the Cambodian capital.
Dec 11, 2019
Pile top drill rigs (PBA) by MHWirth are supporting the boom in India’s Infrastructure. They provide solid foundations for constructions onshore and offshore, among others for one of India’s flagship projects, the Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL).
Dec 10, 2019
Known as “Biggest Little City in the World,” Reno, Nevada is famous for its casinos. However, the city’s water utility isn’t gambling on outdated systems to deliver around-the-clock service to residents.
Dec 09, 2019
Xylem and Manchester City Football Group Partner in “Cityzens Giving” For Second Annual Safe Water Project
Xylem Inc., a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is partnering with the Cityzens Giving annual charitable campaign launched today, a Manchester City Football Club global community initiative, which helps young leaders …
Dec 06, 2019
One year ago, a documentary crew set off on an incredible journey to meet with pioneers who are finding solutions to one of the world’s biggest challenges – water.
Dec 05, 2019
The 27th annual Microtunneling Short Course is again heading to the University of Colorado Boulder February 3-6, 2020, making its way toward another quarter century of success.
Dec 04, 2019
WPL has been granted a patent for its cutting-edge WPL Hybrid-SAFTM process technology. The patented technology employs a submerged moving-bed, fixed-film reactor which can treat wastewater with greater energy efficiency compared to traditional submerged aerated filters (SAFs), in a tighter …
Dec 03, 2019
Advanced multi-functional Pipe Crawler from MEDIT for inspection of pipes from 150mm to 3500mm (6” to 120”). Depending on the configuration, this affordable system has cables from 200 meters (656 ft) to 600 meters (1,968 ft) on a manual or …
Dec 02, 2019
Bureau of Reclamation Awards Nearly $1 Million for Water Purification and Desalination Pilot Projects
The Bureau of Reclamation has awarded nearly $1 million for projects under an innovative pilot-scale water treatment technologies and desalination program. The selected projects will receive funding through cooperative agreements and will include a period of pilot testing at the …
Nov 29, 2019
A wastewater treatment repurpose project carried out at a Wessex Water site not only delivered a 75% cost saving, but figures show that ammonia discharge levels are below the level of detection.
Nov 28, 2019
The ventilation of pressure pipelines
Nov 27, 2019
T-T Flow are proud to announce that they have been awarded renewal of accreditation from the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme Ltd (WRAS) for their range of Swing Check Valves (DN350-DN600).